Large vehicles, like SUVs, have a natural advantage that makes them more equipped for colder climates. This advantage includes several features, including power and drivetrain, that make them capable of plowing through winter snow and ice without issues.
If you are thinking of buying a luxury SUV, here are the features you should look for.
- Drivetrain: Your vehicle needs a lot of traction to travel efficiently on slippery roads. As a result, the ideal vehicle for colder climates must be either an all-wheel drive or a proper four-wheel drive (4WD).
- Power: Snow makes roads slippery and exponentially increases the resistance on wheels. Therefore, your vehicle’s power must be able to overcome this resistance. An SUV with a turbocharged V6 engine provides enough power.
- Comfort: Your SUV’s power and ruggedness alone are not enough to grow through the cold, harsh winter. You also need to be comfortable. As such, your SUV needs comfortable seats and heating.
- Versatility: SUVs generally have high customizability. An example of this is adaptive suspension, which improves your vehicle’s ground clearance. Additionally, most SUVs have multiple drive modes that enable you to travel efficiently in different road conditions, like snow, mud, and dirt.
- Security: The all-wheel drive and special modes of your SUV can get you through road difficulties. However, you need certain safety features like stability control or hill-descent control and traction, to get through some road situations. Some other important security features are forward collision avoidance and blind-spot monitoring.
Top Three SUVs for Colder Climates
We have gathered a list of luxury SUVs that are designed to function optimally in colder climates. Check them out.
2021 Lincoln Navigator
The 2021 Lincoln Navigator is a top-rated opulent SUV fit to drive around in cold, harsh climates.
A large three-row SUV, this vehicle has a huge interior with space for up to eight people.
Constructed with a 450-horsepower turbocharged V6 engine, the 2021 Lincoln Navigator provides excellent power and control on slippery surfaces.
Additionally, it has numerous features, including a Wi-Fi hot spot, tri-zone automatic climate control, heated and ventilated front seats, and heated second-row seats.
One of the top luxury vehicle brands, the Bentley is renowned for the style, class, and elegance of its vehicles.
Built with a 600-horsepower engine, the Bentley Bentayga is one of the fastest SUVs in the world with a top speed of 190mph. It is a full-time all-wheel drive designed to function on all terrains and weather conditions, including winter snow and ice.
Lastly, the Bentley Bentayga provides the space and comfort you need to get through the cold season with its option of four, five, or seven seats.
Mercedes Benz G-Class
The Mercedes Benz G-Class is a high-standard luxury four-wheel drive with a range of awesome features.
Built with up to a 577-horsepower turbocharged V8 engine, the G-Class provides incredible on and off-road performance. It features three differential locks that facilitate traction in each wheel and tire, enabling them to aid its forward motion in difficult terrains.
Apart from the above, there are many other top-rated luxury SUVs perfect for cold, harsh climates. Some of them are:
- Lexus LX
- Cadillac Escalade
- Jaguar F-Pace
- Porsche Cayenne